skip navigation

U-19s fall to Jesters in first defeat of the season

By Andrew Elkins, 04/03/21, 8:30AM CDT


The Port City U-19s Junior Sounders fell tonight at home against the New Orleans Jesters U-19s 1-0 via an 8th Minute goal from a set piece. 


The game was a tight affair with very few open chances for either side. For the first seven minutes there were no chances, until what seemed like a meaningless set piece around midfield, proved to be the pivotal blow. The Jesters swung a set piece into the back post and it was headed in past the Port City goalkeeper. 


The Jesters took the confidence from scoring the goal and began to apply more pressure on the Port City back line. The visitors fashioned together an opening on the 13 minute mark, however, it was swept up nicely and cleared away by the Port City left center half.


As the first half progressed, the Sounders began to find their footing. In the 20th minute, the Sounders strung together some tidy passing which resulted in a corner. However, the Jesters defended well to clear their lines. The Junior Sounders pushed forward again following a string of passes which resulted in a cross that was headed over the bar from the left winger. In the 33rd minute, the Sounders broke on the counter with the ball falling again to the left winger who took on the defender 1-on-1 and cut inside side. His effort on goal look to be destined for the netting,  but was pushed just wide of the post. 


In the 37th minute, the Jesters keeper and Sounders forwards battled for a ball that was bouncing around in the area. Unable to make clean contact with the ball, the Jesters goalkeeper eventually got hold of the ball to stop the attack. This would prove to be the best chance of the half for the home side.


The second half proved to be a lot like the first with not many clear chances for either side. In the 51st minute, the Jesters thought they had taken a two goal advantage through a good spell of play from the visitors which resulted in a cross and attempted overhead kick from the center forward. The ball eventually broke to the right winger who forced a great save from the Sounders goalkeeper.


As the match went on in the second half, legs began to go which caused the game to open up a bit. However, each defense stood strong and only offered half chances and crosses from either side. The last 10 minutes of the match tested the nerves of the Jesters back line who in the end stood strong. The best chance for the Junior Sounders in the second half came in the 86th minute when the ball was clipped into the center forward and beat the oncoming goalkeeper with a flicked header, but the ball went just wide of the post. 


The Junior Sounders will be back in action on Monday, April 12 as they travel to Southern States Soccer Club.